Friday, October 18, 2013

Penny vs. Watermelon

After learning about free fall I class, many people brought up the penny being dropped off the Empire State Building, could possibly kill someone. This myth we found out was not true. This reminded me of a time when I was in high school and my teacher dropped a watermelon from the top of the GM building in Detroit, which is not nearly as tall as the Empire State Building. When he came back and told us how the watermelon exploded as it hit the ground. I always imagined a building twice the size would let a penny catch the highest acceleration to a point where it could kill someone. But as I researched it I was wrong. Because a penny only weighs about 1.3grams event at the highest point I acceleration even continuing to stay at a constant speed, couldn't possibly kill someone, it may hurt but not enough to kill. However I found a article that talked about construction workers and why they wear protective helmets. That is because if objects such as nails and screws which weigh more than a penny. If those fell and hit the right way could kill someone. After reading that I imagine a watermelon in the case I mentioned would in fact kill someone given the weight difference verses a penny.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xLcCrS1yblo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxLcCrS1yblo

Angela Mayack

No comments:

Post a Comment